Friday, December 2, 2011

Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

This review should be a nice change from my regular rambles.
I've never liked movie/tv versions of Alice in Wonderland, the people weren't nice and it was weird and hard to follow. So I didn't go into the book with high expectations. The book made more sense to me than visual reproductions. I suspect some of the movies have also used material out of 'Through the looking glass' which I have not read, as there were things I recalled that were not in the book.
Alice seemed much more in control in the book, and less phased by what was going on around her. She comments that she isn't used to being bossed around so much, but you don't get the sense that she is having a bad time. I also felt she had more agency in the book than movies.
I was disappointed (and surprised) that some of the lines I remembered from movies were changed just slightly, like 'dooo you PLAY croQUET?' from the 1999 tv movie is actually 'can you play croquet?' in the book!
Overall I prefer the book to the movies and whipped right through it in less than a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment